Tuesday 5 March 2013

The blank page

Like a sheet of white vellum or the blackness of a computer screen running AutoCAD, I peer into today's blog entry like a void.  Unsure of where this is going, or what will unfold in my writing, I am compelled to write anyway.

It is a mirror of my practice today.   For a day, I find myself in between projects.  One has finished, another on the horizon, I gaze optimistically upon the future unsure of the direction it may take.

In considering my options, I've turned to a book of inspiration:  "the ARCHITECT says - Quotes, Quips and Words of Wisdom" compiled by Laura S. Dushkes.  Published by Princeton Architectural Press, 2012.

The following quote from (an Architect I admire) Frank Gehry speaks to me today in a particularly meaningful way:

For me, every day is a new thing.  I approach each project with a new insecurity, almost like the first project I ever did, and I get the sweats, I go in and start working, I'm not sure where I'm going - if I knew where I was going, I wouldn't do it.

Now, I need to go, and sharpen my pencil.

No comments:

Post a Comment